* * * DUE TO THE COVID-19 (CORONAVIRUS) PANDEMIC, THE 2020 CLUB CHAMPIONSHIP WAS SUSPENDED, AND THEN CANCELLED * * *
Click on the links (below), to jump to content:
The Club Championship is inclusive and encourages friendly rivalry within individuals’ training groups and across the club as a whole. It also encourages individuals to try different types of events, that they may not otherwise have considered.
When selecting events, a number of considerations were made, including:
- Having a range of different types of events, i.e. Distance, terrain etc.
- Event capacity and thus capability for individuals to have a fair opportunity to obtain an entry.
- Event costs have also been considered, with the majority of events not being prohibitively expensive.
- Having a range of local events.
- Having a range of week days on which events take place.
There are 15 events to choose from in 2020 with a wide variety of distances, terrains and locations. The first event is a 2K Time Trial, on the track on Wednesday 15th January.
- Your best 6 events will count (plus the opportunity for a bonus, see below).
- Events will be scored as follows: 150 points for first place, down to 1 point for 150th place (Men / Ladies are scored separately) except:
- One Marathon (or greater) distance event will qualify for maximum points.
- NEW for 2020: The completion of 4 'Cross Country Bonus Event' events achieves a one-off 140 bonus points, completion of 5 achieves a one-off 150 bonus points and completion of all 6 achieves a one-off 160 bonus points (this is included as one of an individuals' 6 best events).
- NEW for 2020: There is a 'Worst Of' event, in November (Event #12). Places are limited on the two dates available for this event, so for individuals that do both dates if both dates their slowest time will count towards the championship. This will hopefully discourage entry into both sub-events.
- Individuals will be split by age categories (age as of 01/01/2020), with Cups being awarded to individuals that achieve the most points within their given Age Category from their 6 best events.
- Additional Awards.
- One award will be given to the BEST IMPROVER (called the Level Playing Field) which recognises outstanding improvement over the year.
- One award will be given for the BEST AGE GRADE which measures your % performance, taking into account age and gender (similar system to parkrun).
- Complete 12 events (or more) and receive a pair of rainbow shoelaces!
- As usual, there is the annual 'Race Face' Award - to be decided by poll in November / December. Please submit your nominations for this throughout the year!
- Only events participated in after the individual has become a member, will count.
- In the event of any award finishing in a draw, the individual with the highest overall points will win. If this still doesn't determine a winner, joint winners will be declared.
- If any event results in unusable results etc. (e.g. Cowbridge 10k, in 2019): Points will be allocated based on the average (Mean) points scored by each individual, across the events they’ve already completed prior to this one. The same approach will be used for allocating the Age-Grades for each individual.
- For entry into the Improvers Award (Level Playing Field), the best result from Newport (Tredegar House) parkrun in 2019 is used as a benchmark. Where this isn't possible, or members have joined after 1st January, 2020 an equivalent must be provided.
- The City of Newport Half Marathon and JOHN H COLLINS GWENT CROSS COUNTRY LEAGUE Fixture 5 (2019 - 2020) both take place on the same day. Individuals can choose to take part in both events, but only the City of Newport Half Marathon points will count; none will count towards the 'Cross Country Bonus Event'.
- For full details, as well as results, please see the relevant documents on this page.
- All club championship correspondence should be sent to the following e-mail address: email@example.com
Please Note: You can use the built-in search facilities (usually CTRL+F / CMD+F), to search for your name.
POINTS LEAGUE & RAINBOW SHOELACES AWARD
AGE CATEGORY LEAGUE
You can use the built-in search facilities (usually CTRL+F / CMD+F), to search for your name.
Event #1 (15/01/2020) - 2K Time Trial
Event #2 (01/03/2020) - City of Newport Half Marathon
- - -
Any Marathon (Or Greater) Distance Bonus Events
- - -
Cross Country Bonus Event
*As a result of the JOHN H COLLINS GWENT CROSS COUNTRY LEAGUE Fixture 5 (2019 - 2020) being cancelled, scoring for the 'Cross Country Bonus Event' will be be amended. Now that it is reduced from 6 to 5 events overall, the one-off bonus points will be awarded as follows:
- Completion of 3 events = 130 one-off bonus points
- Completion of 4 events = 140 one-off bonus points
- Completion of 5 events = 150 one-off bonus points
There were no updates in 2020.
The Contenders . . .
Please keep an eye out for any worthy contenders and send them in for nomination throughout the year!